Album Review: Keep Telling Myself it's Alright - Ashes Divide

Category: , By Patrick

This morning I left my home early and set out to purchase the new Ashes Divide album "Keep Telling Myself it's Alright". After hearing the title track "The Stone" on the radio a few times I was convinced that I would love the rest of the album...boy was I right (not the first time).

For those of you who do not know, Ashes Divide is a band formed by Billy Howerdel of A Perfect Circle. Also in the band are Josh Freese, Devo Keenan (Maynard's son), and former APC bassist Paz Lenchantin. I like to think of this band as "A Perfect Circle Lite". The sounds that come from Ashes Divide are very similar to that of A Perfect Circle, and some of the guitar solos have a hint of Tool in them as well. There are not enough positive adjectives that I can use to describe this work. When Maynard told the French magazine "Rock Hard" that APC was done forever in 2006, many of us were deeply upset. I was extremely satisfied by this album because it has filled the gaping hole in music that APC left (at least somewhat anyway). I suppose this will have to do until the next Tool album is released.

Ashes Divide has everything a fan of progressive rock would enjoy: Complex and interesting guitar riffs, powerful vocals, and a distinctive sound that can be recognized from a mile away.

If Maynard did the vocals for Ashes divide, they would have been even more amazing.

I give this album 4.5 out of 5 ROFLs
 

1 comment so far.

  1. Anonymous May 22, 2008 at 6:21 PM
    oh god.. i agree 100 %.. amazing album amazing songs.. and it hits you like none other i swear by it.

Something to say?