Restaurant Review: AJ Gators

Category: By Patrick

This weekend I was in Virginia Beach visiting some friends. It was Saturday evening around 5:30 and my buddy Michael and I had just polished off a game of firefight on Halo ODST. It's ironic that we were playing firefight, because little did I know, I had my own firefight coming up. So we hit up this place called AJ Gator's. Seemed like your average sports bar: TVs everywhere, pool tables, a bar, the works. Michael informed me that they had what was called the "gator challenge" where you were given six chicken wings and 1/4 pound of gator tail. You had to eat every bit of the food in under six minutes. What's the catch you ask? The food was absolutely drenched in what I believe was pure capsaicin. Okay, maybe not, but it was definitely the hottest sauce I have ever tasted in terms of scoville units. Oh yea, and no drink until you finished or tapped out.

On Michael's suggestion, I started with the wings because the gator tail was chewy and would allow the feiry mix to soak up in my mouth. The first bite was utter hell, but I was determined to finish. Three minutes and fifteen seconds later, the chicken wings and gator "nuggets" (as I would describe them) sat not so happily in my stomach. My forehead was pouring sweat, and before the waitress had returned with my t-shirt I had finished my drink and everyone else's at our table. I honestly don't want to talk about the aftermath, but suffice to say it was extremely unpleasant.

If you're a hot food freak, and there is an AJ Gators in your neck of the woods, go try the Gator Challenge.

Eating it: 1 out of 5 ROFLs
Watching someone else eat it: 5 out of 5 ROFLs

 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?