Movie Review: The Forbidden Kingdom

Category: , By Patrick

Kung Fu lovers rejoice, Jackie Chan and Jet Li have finally been featured in the same movie! Don't worry about sharpening your katanas or equipping your armor, because this movie has enough sugar coating to give a Disney animator a cavity.

The good: Jet Li and Jackie Chan both display their extensive knowledge of the martial arts. Granted, there were plenty of the "Crouching Tiger" gravity defying moves to go around, however, in-between all of the fantasy fighting, some pretty intense fight scenes took place. One of the more notable fights was between Li and Chan. I was a bit disappointed because that fight was never "finished", it just ended abruptly. I'm pretty sure Jackie Chan would have had his ass handed to him in real life though.

The bad: Hollywood had their way with this movie. I seriously don't know what to be more mad at: The fact that two of the greatest martial artists to ever get to the silver screen have to waste their time trying to act when they could have been coordinating complex fight scenes, OR, the kid they hired to play in the movie. He was seriously a pussy. I felt like the kid was so far out of place that it almost ruined every bit of excitement that I had built up for the movie. I'm not going to hate on him too much, but he pretty much ruined the movie. I also was not too fond of the magical elements that were used in the fight scenes. This is supposed to be a KUNG FU MOVIE, not Lord of the F*cking Rings!

Verdict: If you are a fan of Jet Li's mind numbing karate, or Jackie Chan's ability to play the role of a drunken karate master, go watch this movie. Just be sure to practice your own drunken master technique before you go or you just might enrage like I did.

This movie gets 3 out of 5 ROFLs.
 

1 comment so far.

  1. charlie April 26, 2008 at 1:08 PM
    I couldn't agree more.

    If I had to sum the movie up in one thought it would be: "Rush Hour meets Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon meets Kid in King Arthur's Court meets Chronicles of Narnia".

    Jet Li is one of my favorite martial artists and, unfortunately, I'm not a big fan of Jackie Chan's humor. On a good note in this movie Jackie's fighting was far superior to past movies.

    PS: Kill whoever thought up the concept of The Monkey King.

Something to say?